For musical theatre fans, ‘dream casting’ is a common occurrence. The premise is simply when people pluck ideas of which actors they would like see play specific roles! Therefore, I thought I would share some of my dream casting ideas.
Though I will warn you, I’m not the best at this. I am usually pretty rubbish at connecting who I think will suit certain roles, but by using a handful of my favourite actresses (and lone actor), I tried to match them to some roles that I love, think they would really suit, and I’d be curious to see them in.
- Dianne Pilkington as Mrs Lovett (Sweeney Todd) – In realistic terms, she’s probably got a good few years still until she can pull off playing her as she’s still blessed with youthful looks. However, I’d just be really curious to see her play a slightly meaner comedic role and have in a rather different vocal role to what I’ve seen her do. I think she’d be a fabulous Mrs Lovett!
- Sharon Sexton as Madame Thernadier and Rob Fowler as Mr Thernadier (Les Miserables) – I can’t help but imagine the endless fun and hilarity that would ensue with this duo as the Thernadiers. I would love to see them both play the mean comedic roles and jigging around to Master of the House in the craziest of costumes!
- Samantha Seager as Rita O’Grady (Made in Dagenham) – I know I mention this show at any given opportunity, but ever since this idea hit me, I’ve been slightly desperate to see it happen! I think Samantha has such a ‘Rita’ look about her, and she’s such a strong and fierce character that I think Sammy would nail the embodiment of her beautifully.
- Jennifer Hepburn as Becky (Waitress) – Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE that Becky is often cast as POC and I think it suits the character perfectly, but having heard Jennifer Hepburn singing a number of Waitress and Sara Bareilles songs (including I Didn’t Plan It), I can assure you Jen would be a dreamboat of a Becky.
- Natasha O’Brien as Sloane (Bat Out Of Hell) – An unusual choice maybe, but I would love to see Natasha take on the fierceness of Sloane and hear her belting some epic rock tunes. I think she would be so brilliant, especially in those Red Stilletos…
- Caroline Deverill as Margret (Everybody’s Talking About Jamie) – Ever since I heard a few friends discuss the idea, and saw a cameo of her singing “If I Met Myself Again” this is a casting that the world really deserves. I think Caz would bring such a wonderful soft sincerity to the role of Margret.
- Lisa Bridge as Roxie Hart (Chicago) – I don’t know how or why this idea struck me, perhaps her Isolation Musicals have got me thinking of what I’d like to see next, and I think she’d do a fabulous job as Roxie rocking Chicago.
- Pippa Duffy as Mrs Banks (Mary Poppins) – Another one that needs a little waiting in terms of casting bracket, and I’m aware it’s quite a supporting role but I can’t help picturing how adorable Pippa would be at “being Mrs Banks”.
- Kirsty Hoiles as Raquel (Only Fools & Horses) – This idea mostly came to me due to the fact a friend found out she played Raquel in the original Workshop. While I don’t doubt it changes a lot from workshop stages, ever since we unearthed that fact, we have been really eager to see that as we think it would be an excellent casting choice!
- Mazz Murray as The Witch (Into The Woods) – I essentially plucked this idea by looking at cast recordings and thinking of a few of my favourite actresses, and now I’m wondering how I didn’t think of it sooner? Knowing Mazz reigned superior as Killer Queen in We Will Rock You for many years and having seen her play the Evil Stepmother in R&H’s Cinderella, Mazz’s growls and hisses would be bewitching as The Witch!
Of course this is all just a matter of opinion, for a little bit of fun as I miss theatre. Also I’m sorry for the lack of males – but I’m far worse at dream casting them! Besides, we gotta cheer on the girl power, right?
Anyway, that’s my 10. What are your dream casts?